COM 297 - Communication Research Methods
- Communication Call Numbers
- Reference Books & eBooks
- Interlibrary Loan
- Peer Reviewed Journals
- Open Access Journals
- Literature Review
Reference Sources for Background Research
When you begin researching, consulting a reference book (like an encyclopedia or handbook) to get an overview of the topic is often quicker and easier than trying to gather background information from various articles and websites.
Reference books can provide definitions, descriptions and explanations and identify keywords and terms for searching for articles in databases or for books in the Catalog about the topic.
Entries in reference books often include a list of sources for further reading. I n the early stages of your research, t racking down these cited sources will lead you to relevant books and articles and save you time.
Selected Print Reference Books
Selected Reference eBooks
Many books are now available with online full text as ebooks. Listed below are some online reference books in the field of Communication. For links to more ebooks see Milner's Reference (General/Multi-Subject) page or search Milner's Catalog and limit the search to "Electronic."
- << Previous: Books & eBooks
- Next: Interlibrary Loan >>
- Last Updated: Feb 24, 2023 1:06 PM
- URL: https://guides.library.illinoisstate.edu/COM297
Milner Library Illinois State University Campus Box 8900 201 North School Street Normal, Il 61790-8900
(309) 438-3451 Contact Us
© 2022 Illinois State University Privacy Statement • Appropriate Use Policy
Have comments or questions about our guides? Please contact Instruction and Student Engagement: [email protected]
- Sign in / Join
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Portuguese (Portugal)
Best Reference Books
hailelib , aulsmith , Mr.Durick , kageeh , TimStump , WalkerMedia , Edward , mkjones , eromsted , AnnaClaire , Bretzky1 , andejons , Helcura , abbottthomas , bluepiano , lilithcat , ABVR , DaynaRT , anglemark , Noisy , foggidawn , keristars , SqueakyChu , _Zoe_ , norabelle414
About This List
Related lists, related tags s.
- Library of Congress
- Research Guides
Dun and Bradstreet Publications at the Library of Congress
Reference book of corporate managements.
- America's Corporate Families
- Apparel Trades Book
- Business Failures
- Business Identification Service
- Business Month
- Business Month [microform]
- Business Rankings
- Career Guide
- Census of American Business
- Directory of Service Companies
- ERISA publications
- Export Documentation Handbook
- Exporters' Encyclopaedia
- Guide to Your Investments
- Healthcare Reference Book
- Industrial Guide
- Keogh Directory
- Key Business Directory, ASEAN
- Key Business Ratios
- Latin America 25,000
- Market Guide
- Million Dollar Directory
- Principal International Businesses
- Reference Book of American Business
- Reference Book of Manufacturers
- Reference Book of Transportation
- Review: International Edition
- Statistical Review
- Who Owns Whom
- Databases and Websites
- Using the Library of Congress
Dun & Bradstreet has been a major publisher of business information from its earliest iteration back in 1841. This page includes collection materials available at the Library of Congress related to the Reference Book of Corporate Managements series.
The following titles link to fuller bibliographic information in the Library of Congress Online Catalog . Links to additional online content are included when available.
- << Previous: Reference Book of American Business
- Next: Reference Book of Manufacturers >>
- Last Updated: Dec 29, 2022 1:25 PM
- URL: https://guides.loc.gov/dun-and-bradstreet
Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date. For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
Featured in Books
- B&N Top 100
- Teens & YA Top 100
- Kids Top 100
- NY Times® Bestsellers
- Books by Subject
- Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off
- Bestsellers 30% Off
- Up to 30% Off Pre-Orders
- B&N Collectible Editions
- Coupons & Deals
- Our Monthly Picks
- Book Club Selections
- Discover Pick of the Month
- Bookseller Favorites
- B&N Book of the Year
- B&N Discover Prize
- The Paperback Store
- Signed Books
- Atlases & Maps
- English Language Reference
- Foreign Language Study Aids & Dictionaries
- Genealogy & Family History
- General Reference
- Library & Information Science
- School Guides & Test Preparation
- Other Format
- Audio Other
- Multimedia Set
- Large Print
- Audio MP3 on CD
- BN Exclusive
- Signed Book
- Coloring Book
- 0 - 2 Years
- 3 - 5 Years
- 6 - 8 Years
- 9 - 12 Years
- Multiple Languages
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Greek, Modern (1453- )
- Norwegian Bokmal
- Creoles and Pidgins, English-based (Othe
- Iroquoian (Other)
More Ways to Explore
From the Book Annex: Up to 80% Off
Use the same formats for both print books and ebooks. For ebooks, the format, platform, or device (e.g., Kindle) is not included in the reference.
This page contains reference examples for books, including the following:
- Whole authored book
- Whole edited book
- Republished book, with editor
- Book published with new foreword by another author
- Several volumes of a multivolume work
1. Whole authored book
Jackson, L. M. (2019). The psychology of prejudice: From attitudes to social action (2nd ed.). American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000168-000
Sapolsky, R. M. (2017). Behave: The biology of humans at our best and worst . Penguin Books.
Svendsen, S., & Løber, L. (2020). The big picture/Academic writing: The one-hour guide (3rd digital ed.). Hans Reitzel Forlag. https://thebigpicture-academicwriting.digi.hansreitzel.dk/
- Parenthetical citations : (Jackson, 2019; Sapolsky, 2017; Svendsen & Løber, 2020)
- Narrative citations : Jackson (2019), Sapolsky (2017), and Svendsen and Løber (2020)
- Provide the author, year of publication, title, and publisher of the book. Use the same format for both print books and ebooks.
- Use the copyright date shown on the book’s copyright page as the year of publication in the reference, even if the copyright date is different than the release date.
- Include any edition information in parentheses after the title, without italics.
- If the book includes a DOI, include the DOI in the reference after the publisher name.
- Do not include the publisher location.
- If the ebook without a DOI has a stable URL that will resolve for readers, include the URL of the book in the reference (as in the Svendsen and Løber example, which is from the iBog database, where ebooks are referred to as “internetbooks”). Do not include the name of the database in the reference.
- If the ebook is from an academic research database and has no DOI or stable URL, end the book reference after the publisher name. Do not include the name of the database in the reference. The reference in this case is the same as for a print book.
2. Whole edited book
Hygum, E., & Pedersen, P. M. (Eds.). (2010). Early childhood education: Values and practices in Denmark . Hans Reitzels Forlag. https://earlychildhoodeducation.digi.hansreitzel.dk/
Kesharwani, P. (Ed.). (2020). Nanotechnology based approaches for tuberculosis treatment . Academic Press.
Torino, G. C., Rivera, D. P., Capodilupo, C. M., Nadal, K. L., & Sue, D. W. (Eds.). (2019). Microaggression theory: Influence and implications . John Wiley & Sons. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119466642
- Parenthetical citations : (Hygum & Pedersen, 2010; Kesharwani, 2020; Torino et al., 2019)
- Narrative citations : Hygum and Pedersen (2010), Kesharwani (2020), and Torino et al. (2019)
- Use the abbreviation “(Ed.)” for one editor and the abbreviation “(Eds.)” for multiple editors after the editor names, followed by a period. In the case of multiple editors, include the role once, after all the names.
- If the ebook without a DOI has a stable URL that will resolve for readers, include the URL of the book in the reference (as in the Hygum and Pedersen example, which is from the iBog database). Do not include the name of the database in the reference.
3. Republished book, with editor
Watson, J. B., & Rayner, R. (2013). Conditioned emotional reactions: The case of Little Albert (D. Webb, Ed.). CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. http://a.co/06Se6Na (Original work published 1920)
- Parenthetical citation : (Watson & Rayner, 1920/2013)
- Narrative citation : Watson and Rayner (1920/2013)
- The book by Watson and Rayner was originally published in 1920. It was edited by Webb and republished in 2013.
- Sometimes an authored book also credits an editor on the cover. In this case, include the editor in parentheses without italics after the book title.
- Provide the year of the republication in the main date element of the reference. Provide the year of original publication at the end of the reference in parentheses after the words “Original work published.”
- Both publication years appear in the in-text citation, separated with a slash, with the earlier year first.
4. Book published with new foreword by another author
Kübler-Ross, E. (with Byock, I.). (2014). On death & dying: What the dying have to teach doctors, nurses, clergy & their own families (50th anniversary ed.). Scribner. (Original work published 1969)
- Parenthetical citation : (Kübler-Ross, 1969/2014)
- Narrative citation : Kübler-Ross (1969/2014)
- Use this format when a person other than the original author has added a new part to the work, such as a foreword or introduction.
- Provide the author of the whole book in the main author element of the reference. Then provide the name of the person who wrote the foreword, introduction, or other new part, in parentheses, after the word “with.” In the example, Byock wrote a new foreword to the book by Kübler-Ross.
- When citing the main book, include only the name of the book author in the in-text citation.
- Parenthetical citation of foreword : Workers in the medical community should “listen to the people who need our help and respond with all the knowledge and skill we can bring to bear” (Kübler-Ross, 1969/2014, foreword by Byock, p. xv).
- Narrative citation of foreword : Byock stated that Kübler-Ross’s (1969/2014) work “challenged the authoritarian decorum and puritanism of the day” (p. xii).
5. Several volumes of a multivolume work
Harris, K. R., Graham, S., & Urdan T. (Eds.). (2012). APA educational psychology handbook (Vols. 1–3). American Psychological Association.
- Parenthetical citation : (Harris et al., 2012)
- Narrative citation : Harris et al. (2012)
- Provide the name(s) of the editor(s)-in-chief as the editors of the work, even if the volume editors are different.
This guidance has been revised from the 6th edition.
- Search our:
- Plan Your Visit
- Check Your Account
- Reserve a Virtual Meeting
- Holiday Closings
- Library Layout
- Coffee Shop
- Computers & Wifi
- Culture Pass Program
- Drive Up Window
- Equipment & Technology
- Meeting + Study Rooms
- Wireless Printing
- About Your Library Card
- How To Get a Card
- Fine Free FAQ
- Lost or Damaged Materials
- Text Message Alerts
- News and Book Emails
- Press Center
- User Stories
- Annual Report
- Board of Trustees
- Culture Statement
- Freedom of Information Act
- Management Team
- Strategic Plan
- Friends of the Library
- Find Your Plaque
- Community Bulletin & Exhibits
- Social Services
- Social Services Resources
- About Inclusive Services
- Equipment and Tools to Use at EPL
- Materials and Collections to Check Out
- Home Delivery
- All Adult Programs
- Book Discussion
- Business Programs
- Senior Programs
- Technology Classes
- Bestsellers & More
- Coming Attractions
- Download and Stream
- Media Match
- New Book Email Alert
- Virtual Displays
- Exam Proctoring
- Local Book Club Requests
- Magazines & Newspapers
- Books & More
- Homework Help
- High School Programs
- Teen Showcase Gallery
- Middle School Programs
- Guidelines for Kids & Caregivers
- The Learning Garden
- Children’s Reading Garden
- Middle School Hangout
- Kids’ Programs
- Graded Booklists
- Media Match, Jr.
- What We’re Reading
- Early Literacy
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
- Kid’s Databases
- Homeschooling Resources
- Scout Visits
- Teacher Borrowing Privileges
- Request Materials
- K-12 Teacher Handbook
- Preschool Teacher Handbook
- All Programs
- Mini Art Show
- Online Challenges
- Program Proposal
- Registration Guidelines
- Technology Program Materials
- Virtual Programs
- High School
- Middle School
- Elementary School
- About the Makery
- Makery Equipment
- Reserve Makery Equipment
- About the Creative Studio
- Reserve a Creative Studio
- Creative Studio Equipment
- Creative Studio Policies
- Creative Studio FAQ
- Creative Classes
- Makery Classes
- Online Creativebug Classes
- Online Technology Classes
- All Databases By Title
- Biography & Genealogy
- Books & Literature
- Business & Investing
- Career Services
- Cars & Engines
- College Information
- Consumer Information
- Encyclopedias & Almanacs
- Elmhurst & Regional
- Health & Wellness
- History & Geography
- Kid’s Database
- Music & Art
- Phone Numbers
- Reference Books Online
- Science, Technology & Nature
- Social Sciences & Issues
- Databases for High School Students
- Storytime for Grownups Podcast
- New Adult Fiction
- New Teen Fiction
- New Kid’s Fiction
- Renew Items
- Checking your Account
- Place a Hold
- Freeze Holds
- Pay Fines Online
- Reading History
- Search Tips
- Suggest a Purchase
- Ask a Librarian
- Collection Information
- Play + Learn
- Past Programs
- Business Services
- About the Business Center
- Business Library Card
- Community Partners
- Elmhurst Work Perks
R&R – Reference Books Online
- Reference Books Online Gale Virtual Reference Library – use reference books in the library or from home 24/7. This database contains a wide variety of books including such diverse sources as: the Encyclopedia of Business and Finance, Encyclopedia of Clothing and Fashion and U*X*L Encyclopedia of Science. Find authoritative information on a large number of topics. It’s like having a tall stack of reference books at your fingertips! Try these tutorials: Browsing Titles and Searching for Information.
- Brands and their Companies Searchable directory of brand names and the companies associated with them. This title is part of the Gale Directory Library.
- Business Rankings Annual Searchable directory of business ranking lists. This title is part of the Gale Directory Library.
- CultureGrams Find information on 190 countries or investigate the 50 states of the USA. You can find information from politics, religion and language to cultural recipes and photographs.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Provides complete, full-text access to the Dictionary of Literary Biography (vols. 1-348).
- Hoovers: see Mergent Intellect
- Literature Criticism Online Provides complete, full-text access to the following print titles: Twentieth Century Literary Criticism (vols. 1-271), Nineteenth Century Literary Criticism (vols. 1-210) and Children’s Literature Review. Try these tutorials: 1) Advanced Search , 2) Article Options , 3) Basic Search , 4) Browse Authors, Works, and Topics , 5) Managing Results
- Market Share Reporter Searchable directory of comparative market share statistics. This title is part of the Gale Directory Library.
- Mergent Intellect, powered by Hoovers, delivers comprehensive company, industry, and market intelligence. Our database of 12 million companies, with in-depth coverage of 40,000 of the world’s top business enterprises, is at the core of our business tools and services that customers find vital to their business operations. Hoover’s editorial staff of some 80 editors and researchers brings vital business information and knowledge to its coverage, updating the site daily to bring our visitors and subscribers the most up-to-date business information in the industry.
- Scholastic GO! An encyclopedia for grades 4 – 8. Includes information on animals, U.S. states, countries, science, and more. This is a compilation of the former databases: Amazing Animals, America the Beautiful, Lands and Peoples, New Book of Popular Science, Grolier Encyclopedia, and Encyclopedia Americana.
- Something About the Author Complete online access to the print series.
- Weiss Financial Ratings Provides investment ratings for bonds, money markets, mutual funds, stocks and ETFs and financial safety ratings for health, property & casualty, life & annuity, credit unions and banks.
- World Book Encyclopedia More than 25,000 encyclopedia articles for students from grades 4 through 12.
- Find General Newspaper & Magazine Articles
- Use Other Encyclopedias
- Kids’ Databases
How can we help?
- Board Information
How Do I…
- Book a Room
- Find My Next Book
- Get a Library Card
- Print from Anywhere
- For Business
- For Parents
- For Teachers
- Creative Studio
© 2023 Elmhurst Public Library. All right reserved.
Amazon.com: reference books. ... Filters. RESULTS. Insects Reference Book: An Image Archive for Artists and Designers. Pinch to zoom-in further
Reference books can provide definitions, descriptions and explanations and identify keywords and terms for searching for articles in databases
Best Reference Books ; 1 · The Oxford English Dictionary. by E. S. C. Weiner. 1,645 members. 32 reviews ; 2 · Roget's International Thesaurus. by Peter Mark Roget.
Reference Book of Corporate Managements. Dun & Bradstreet has been a major publisher of business information from its earliest iteration back in
Discover the best bookstore online—shop over 6 million books and 4.5 million eBooks. Get your order fast and stress free with free curbside pickup.
Intelligence Community Legal Reference Book, Winter 2020 ... The documents presented in this book have been updated to incorporate all amendments made since
Book/Ebook References · Provide the author, year of publication, title, and publisher of the book. · Use the abbreviation “(Ed.)” for one editor and the
Reference books can come in handy for your coursework, project, or research. Get detailed information about various reference books
R&R - Reference Books Online Reference Books Online Gale Virtual Reference Library - use reference books in the library or from home 24/7.
A unique resource among government contracting books, this quick-reference guide saves you time and strengthens your procurement program, by